(Friends of Wikipedia
) is an association of editors of Catalan wikipedia and its sister projects, and sympathizers of the project, constituted legally as none for profit association.
The prioritary objective of the Association is:
- That the sum of all the knowledge of the humanity be fee and available in Catalan.
- That the knowledge of the Catalan culture be fee accessible to everybody in any language.
Note: The fact that this is the priority objective does not imply that it is the only one nor that it excludes others whenever they are lined up with the creation and the diffusion of the free knowledge.
The association, in order to achieve their goals is at the service of the community of authors of wikipedia and sister projects, and offers its services to help them and facilitate their task of constructing these projects.
That's why it has created services that everybody can enjoy without the need of being a member of the asociation:
To facilitate your work in the projects
- To facilitate the translations. Amical-bot facilitates you the task of translating articles from other languages. On the bot user page there are the instructions of how to use it.
- Educational projects. The association has developed technology to facilitate the management of educational projects that provide content to wikipedia or sister projects. These projects can be developed within (typically university projects) or outside of Wikipedia (usually high school projects). Leave a note to Paucabot or Gomà.
- Domain names. The association maintains viquipedia.org domain, as well as wikipedia.cat end viquipedia.cat pointing directly to ca.wikipedia.org/wiki /Main Page. It also keeps wikilovesmonuments.cat, viquibalear.cat, and viquiescoles.cat domains for these projects and has the domains wiki.cat and viqui.cat reserved for future projects.
- WYSIWYG editor. Hem instal·lat un editor WYSIWYG a la wiki de l'associació si el voleu fer servir o oferir-lo a usuaris que comencen podeu fer proves aquí: Proves. Per activar-lo heu de clicar a "Editor enriquit" Un cop editat clicant a "Deshabilita l'editor enriquit" o a "Codi font" teniu accés al text amb la sintaxi wiki i el podeu copipastejar a la Viquipèdia.
For offline activities in the world.
- Material for workshops and presentations. If you have a workshop or presentation the association makes available material. You can ask them to Amical-gestio1. At this moment we have available:
- Brochures "Welcome to Wikipedia"
- 10 explanatory posters on wikipedia and sister projects.
- Press accreditation. If you attend an event to take photographs for Commons and need a press accreditation, the association will make the process of requesting it. Read: Press accreditation.
- Rooms for Wikimeetups. If you are organizing a wikimetup the association can help you to find a room. You can ask them to Amical-gestio1.
- Protection of authoryright and free license. The association offers support to defend the authorights againts infringing third parties coping your work on Wikipedia or on sister projects or making derivative works without complying with the requirements of the free license. If you give us your permission the association will send friendly claims on your behalf to achieve compliance. Leave a note at the association wiki vilage pump.
- Economic support. The association is funded by membership fees, income from sales of the book “Wikipedia”, donations from individuals and organizations, and grants to carry out specific projects. These resources are available to the community for activities in favor of the projects. If you have an idea or a project and need some money you can ask the association. Here are the instructions: Request for Funding.
- Dissemination of press releases. The association has a database of contacts with the media. To disseminate a press release first you must achieve community consensus on wikipedia or any sister project, then the association will gladly it to have the maximum possible impact. Leave a note Ssola or Davidpar.
The association works in the real world. We coordinate the activities using internet but focus on the street. Examples of current activities:
- Conferences explaining Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Workshops to learn how to edit Wikipedia.
- Educational projects.
- Negotiate agreements with entities to free contents.
Here you can find the activitiy reports from March 2009 in catalan.
Also avalilable in english:
Wikimedia "local chapter"
The Association is independent from Wikimedia Foundation, and is not a local chapter.
But it has proposed the creation of a Wikimedia Chapter; for details, see Wikimedia CAT.
The community of editors of Catalan Wikipedia during the month of April 2010 decided by unanimously consensus. "Put on the wikipedia community portal page a link to the association's web page”.